Sale and Davys School community work together to promote and develop a love of number and problem solving. In order to achieve this all children have the opportunity to apply their skills across the curriculum, especially in science. Pupils will work practically using concrete equipment form reception through to year 6, when appropriate. They will be encouraged to develop their reasoning skills through a range of experiences and learning activities. Concise and efficient recording methods will be fostered and pupils will be expected to articulate their methods of working. Themed weeks/day, stem learning challenges and other enriched curriculum events provide a driving force for the children to develop confidence through overlearning essential skills which will help them later in life.
• White Rose materials are schemes that are used as resources to support the teaching of mathematics throughout the school.
• Wave teaching is used in mixed age classes to ensure pupils have high quality inputs that are tailored to the needs of the individuals within the group.
• Teaching assistants are used effectively to support all groups.
• Lessons are crafted using the principles of concrete, pictorial and abstract when and where appropriate to ensure access to learning for all pupils.
• Reasoning and problem solving tasks are used regularly within lessons to support and embed learning. • Continual assessment is used to inform planning and provide next steps for learning.
• Intervention groups are purposefully created to ensure groups of pupils make progress rapidly. In year 4, more able pupils are taught in a group to ensure rapid and sustained progress and this allows more focus and support for SEN pupils in year 3 and 4.
• House challenges (STEM learning opportunities allow a multitude of mathematical skills to be practised and embedded)
• Science week is planned to combine a range of scientific, mathematical and enquiry based skills.
• The profile of learning times tables has been risen – Year groups 1-6 have access to Times Table Rock Stars and regular tests are carried out.
• A cross-curricular approach is taken to include opportunities for mathematical skills to be practised wherever possible and appropriate.
Maths Progression Reception to Y1 (pdf)Download
Maths Progression Y1 to Y6 (pdf)Download
Maths School Improvement Plan 2021-22 (pdf)Download
Maths Long Term Plan DART (pdf)Download
Maths Long Term Plan TRENT (pdf)Download
Maths Long Term Plan GRIFFON (pdf)Download
Maths Vocabulary Progression (pdf)Download