Sale and Davys School community work together to promote and develop the skills, knowledge and appreciation of design technology. Through a rich and varied curriculum, our children are able to use the language of design to discuss and form reasoned observations about different designers and their work. They are able to collect ideas, plan, design and create different products, using a variety of techniques and skills whilst using other designers work as a stimuli. Our overall intention, is to develop the understanding of how design has shaped our history and contributed to our culture whilst encouraging their own creative thinking and experiences.
• Every art unit of work begins with a piece of design as a stimulus.
• Design outcomes covered are chosen to cover a broad and progressive curriculum.
• Designers/craftsmen are used to support the learning of design technology – its processes, skills and knowledge.
• Children are given clear goals to work towards building upon the skills/techniques and knowledge required to achieve them – collate ideas, research constructions/processes involved, design, make, improve and evaluate.
• All children are taught and encouraged to use the language design whilst learning and discussing work. • All children are encouraged to reflect upon their own personal opinions of the design pieces covered.
• All children have a sketchpad to collate work and produce ideas, documenting their journeys.
• Children are encouraged to evaluate and amend work as it progresses.